Search More Animals

Custom Search

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Juvenile Elf Owls


Beauty Of Animal | Juvenile Elf Owls | Most years, the Elf Owls (Micrathene whitneyi) nest in a huge, multi-armed Saguaro not too far from my yard. After the young Elf Owls leave the nest, their parents bring them over to spend their days in a dense, shady hedgerow along the edge of my yard, which is where I got this photograph of two of this year's four juvenile Elf Owls.
Unfortunately, juvenile birds are not always the most photogenic, and the one sibling looks a bit goofy (not unlike some of my childhood photos of me and my well-behaved sister). During the day, I'll usually see the parent Elf Owls perched next to the juveniles or down on the ground poking around for bugs. Elf Owls are fairly tame and don't seem to mind me getting close to them, but they will wake up and open their eyes, so I try not to disturb them too much during the day because they need their sleep.

Find Here The Kinds Of Animals and Flora and Fauna